Wednesday 22 February 2012

Chanel Jacket



I finished my black Chanel Jacket a while ago but I haven't had time to blog about it yet. This is the second time I have made a Chanel type Jacket and I am much happier with the finish I have achieved on this version. I used a different pattern for this one, Simplicity 4241(OOP). It is very similar to the Vogue pattern I used last time but I like the turn up cuffs on this version.
If you are going to make one of these jackets, I highly recommend you use the techniques explained by Claire Schaeffer in her book Couture Sewing Techniques. I quilted the lining to the jacket fabric first, before machine stitching the jacket body and hand sewing the lining together. On the Chanel Sew-a-long website there are loads of resources if you are interested in sewing a jacket using these techniques. All I can say is: the more time, care and attention you spend on it, the better your finish will be. I suppose this is true of all sewing, and indeed most things in life!

I absolutely love this type of jacket. It feels like a cardigan because it is so comfy and light (no interfacing is used) but it has the polish of a tailored jacket.

I was in LK Bennett recently and I saw this jacket, The Madi. At £225.000, and the fit not being as good, I think I have done very well! I am still considering adding a fringe trim like the Madi Jacket, even though I have already worn the jacket twice! I might pin it on to see what it looks like. What's been holding me back is time and the fear that I will shed everywhere because boy does this boucle tweed shed like mad!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

What a great milestone to sew a jacket as lovely as yours. It's lovely to see you posting again.

katherine h said...

It looks a very versatile jacket. Great work.

Arlene said...

The jacket came out beautiful!